Many people feel a bit embarrassed if they have dental anxiety. We’re here to say there is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about! Almost everyone feels apprehensive at least occasionally at dental appointments. However, if it’s a regular thing for you, we’d love to help you overcome it. That way, you can get the care you need to keep your smile in top shape. Check out our suggestions to feel less afraid at the dentist:
- Ask Questions – Most people feel better about a procedure if they understand exactly what will happen. We do our best to explain everything to you. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. We’re happy to answer them!
- Visit Early in the Day – Some patients like to visit as early as possible, so they have less time to fret about their appointment. It’s easy at our office, where we offer 7 a.m. appointments four days a week.
- Take a Break – Taking a quick break can help if you begin feeling overwhelmed. We’ll establish a signal before your treatment starts, such as a raised hand, that you can use to let us know if you need a breather.
- Calm Your Nerves With Sedation – Sedation is wonderful for soothing nerves, especially for long or involved procedures. We offer both laughing gas and oral medication. We’ll help you select the one best suited to your level of anxiety.
- Picture a Pleasant Visit – It can be helpful to visualize yourself lying comfortably in our chair prior to your visit, especially if you also take some deep, calming breaths while doing so. You can use this same relaxing technique at your actual appointment too.